In conjunction with our long term collaborators Johns Hopkins Healthcare, we have devised seven ‘quick wins’ for the delivery of population health analytics that supports Population Health Management strategies.
The fifth of these quick wins is….
#5 Palliative and end of life care
- The mortality rate nationally is about 1%
- Typically palliative care registers have less than 0.5% of the local population listed on them
- The use of the Mortality Risk Score (MRS) algorithm has been used in various parts of the UK to identify patients who may be nearing the end of their life but are not on the palliative care register
- Use the Mortality Risk Score (MRS) marker in Sollis™ Clarity / ACG© System to identify the 1-1.5% of people with the highest MRS
- Compare this list to those already on a palliative care register
- Undertake clinical review of those on MRS not on palliative care register
- Make appropriate intervention with those identified who may benefit from a DNR discussion of the creation of an anticipatory care programmes
- Patient and families wishes more likely to be respected and associate improvements in quality
- Reduction in unnecessary admissions to hospital
Enter your email address and we’ll send you a link to our simple guide – Improving Population Health – Seven Quick Wins